|Torrent Engine House
Fire Station was built in 1877 and is the home of
Engine 2 and
It is located
on Branch Street opposite Smith Street and covers
sections of the city called the "Highlands" and
The origin of the name "Torrent" dates
back to the 1840's and comes from the amount of water the steamer
could pump-Torrents of water.
The station has been renovated several
times over the past 123 years and received a Preservation Award
in 1997 from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is known as "The
West Point" of
the Lowell Fire Department.